I’m going to one of the release parties tonight with a friend, mostly because I’ve never gone and am curious. Frankly, the fanfic and fanart made a much bigger impression on me over the years than the books themselves, but despite my mixed feelings about JKR as a writer, like everyone else I’m curious to see how she chooses to end the series.
So here are my predictions for what-all’s going to happen in book 7, just to see how well (or poorly) I can anticipate how JKR’s various plot threads are going to pay off…
1. Just as, in the first book, Neville standing up to his friends gave Gryffindor the last few points they needed to win the House Cup, Neville will do something small but brave that will make the crucial difference between victory and defeat.
2. JKR herself has said she didn’t want to kill Sirius, but really had to for plot reasons. I’m assuming she is using his death to prove no one can come back from the Veil, no matter how badly you want them to, so the Veil will be used to permanently defeat Voldemort and the Horcruxes.
3. Snape was under orders from Dumbledore when he killed him.
4. All the phoenix imagery is waaaay too over the top to be coincidence. Dumbledore’s going to pull an Obi-Wan and be more powerful because he was struck down.
5. Snape is going to prove Voldemort’s curse on the DADA position is broken by coming back to teach the class permanently.